Monday, October 14, 2019

Tirana: Transport hassles to a vibrant city

It’s a good thing I had some reserved energy and patience because my transport day (Saturday) to Tirana, Albania was not so relaxing.  It started with having to quickly pack so the hotel owner could pick me up and store my luggage at their restaurant.  Then two hours later they drove me to the local bus stop where I was to get on a minibus to Struga.  However, I cannot read latin so I had to keep asking people “is this the bus to Struga?”.  I get on the minibus and right away this lady sitting on the bus offers me help.  Her name is Mifide and is from Ohrid, but lives half the year in New Jersey.  Good thing she spoke English and the local language, because I never would have known where to get off the bus.  I get off the bus at the main station (sort of) and drag my wheeled suitcase in gravel, rock, broken cement, you name it, on the way to the station – about a quarter of a mile behind a long tin wall.  When I get there I’m told there is only one bus a day and it left at 9:30am, I’d have to wait until the next day.  So, it seems the bus station in Ohrid did not give me the correct info.  So after a lot of hemming and hawing, a taxi driver agreed to take me to the border then hook me up with a taxi for the rest of the way in Albania. Not crazy about this, but didn’t want to wait another day.  On the way, the taxi driver called and found out there was one other bus that left at 13:00.  Finally I get on the right bus and 4 hours later arrived in Tirana. The terrain was drop dead gorgeous, with mountains, rivers and green forests.  I was so happy to get to my hotel which is called Boutique Hotel Whisky which just so happens to have a whisky bar.  Just what I needed after this exhausting day.

Tirana is a big city, but with a great vibe.  Young and modern, and in transition.  Started Sunday with a city marathon right in front of my hotel, and later in the day a city tour.  Very interesting history and they are really hoping to one day become part of the EU.   Last night went on a 2hr tour of the city.  Admittedly, they have a complicated history.  The Communist times (45 years) were pretty rough as they were completely cut off from the rest of the world.  Photos show a country in transition.  One mayor liked to change buildings to bright colors.








No comments:

Post a Comment