Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Novi Sad, Serbia and an all day history lesson

I went on a day tour to Sremski and Novi Sad last Friday - sorry, late in posting.  It started out as an adventure as I was sitting in a restaurant nearby the hotel enjoying my breakfast when the waiter came up to me and asked if I was Laurie Hull, I said “yes”.  He said “your tour guide is waiting for you”.  Holy shit!  I ran as fast as I could to join up with the guide - really only 15 min late, but I thought it was Thursday and not Friday.  I must get used to checking my calendar DAILY!  LOL.  There were only three of us on the tour so we drove by car which was great.  Four countries represented in our small car, well kind of five, as one guy was from India but lives in the UK.  A lady from Germany was also along who was quite interesting and the only other that person that would partake in the wine tasting part of the tour.  Wines - ummmm, are not too impressive.  Stopped at the Fruska Mountain for a quick visit to a medieval Orthodox monastery.  Then to Sremski (lovely little town) for wine tasting at “Kis” and Novi Sad.  Novi Sad was gorgeous with amazing Baroque architecture.  Filip was our guide and was a journalist covering the war in Kosovo.  He talked non stop all day telling us about the history and his opinions of the region - it did get overwhelming, but fortunately he was very handsome.  He was a very opinionated person, all Serbian, and longs for the days when they were Yugoslavia, when life was great for all of them as a unified region, thanks to Tito.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sremski_Karlovci

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novi_Sad






















2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures
    Now I know where unicorns are from

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the photo of the handsome tour guide?

    ReplyDelete