Monday, October 14, 2019

Skopje to Ohrid: Medieval churches, chilling and hilling

Last Thursday I took a 4 hr bus to Ohrid.  A POC with the State Department (a friend of my physical therapist back in Virginia) highly recommended I go to this city on Lake Ohrid known for its 365 churches – hey, one for each day of the year.  What a picturesque little city.  You instantly felt the peace and calm of this city which is recognized as a Natural World Heritage Site by UNESCO.  It’s just what I needed to chill for a couple of days.  However, the city was one big hill, so once again I had a good workout chilling and hilling.  The church of St. Sophie was my favorite with frescos dating back to 11-13th centuries.  I took an afternoon boat to St Naum to see its famous monastery, fresh springs and mountain views.  The monastery dates back to 905 and established by the Bulgarian Empire and St. Naum.  This day was so relaxing and picture perfect.

Random notes from Ohrid:
-beautiful sunsets and beautiful waterfront cafes
-small boardwalk with no railings over the water and along a rocky cliff
-dark narrow alleys, yet very safe
-reminded me of Portugal



















No comments:

Post a Comment