Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Tirana: Towers and Bunkers

Yesterday I climbed the city tower for some great views, but every time I climb a tower, half way up I reminded myself that I am afraid of heights.  I almost backed out, especially when a Macedonia man was reminding me that there was an earthquake in this city last month.  Oh no, that’s right.  Crap!  I mustered enough courage to go up and enjoy the great views. First photo below the view from the tower.

Did you know that there are 175,000 bunkers in Albania from the Communists days built to protect themselves from a nuclear or chemical attack?  Wow!  So now you can tour them as museums reflective of that time period and call them “Bunker Art”.  It is pretty interesting yet dark to say the least.  I can’t imagine what it must have felt like in Communist times, especially here where they were totally closed off from the rest of the world.  They were all spying on each other and police planted cameras and microphones in peoples houses if suspected of being any Communist.  Also plenty of torture and death.  We are so fortunate.  Photos below of the bunker.  Will try to see a couple more.







No comments:

Post a Comment