Sunday, October 20, 2019

Tirana: Petrela Castle and young ladies

The day before I leave Tirana, I have the pleasure of spending with Elda and her friend Medina, their treat.  I suggested we go to Petrela Castle which was just outside of Tirana.  This castle’s tower was built in the 6th century AD and was a signaling location for the larger castle nearby – Kruje Castle.   We take the local bus there and proceed to walk miles up to the top.  It was a beautiful day and I didn’t mind at all.  I have interesting conversations with these two beautiful ladies and loved their youth and enthusiasm.  We talked about everything, their muslim faith, school, boys, corruption, travel, food, you name it.  Medina is a history teacher and Elda Masters student in French.  Once at the top, its really just a little castle turned restaurant with amazing panoramic views.  Since I was with two young ladies and I had my DSLR camera, I became their official photographer, and did they love to have their photos taken.  I totally enjoyed it too as I’m always trying to enhance my skills.  I can now easily download photos on my phone and send to them via Whatsapp. They wanted me to try a special local dish, but the restaurant didn’t have it that day.  They were very upset and after about 20 minutes of debate with the waiter, he said he’d ask the cook – probably his mother.  After all, Elda told him here grandmother can whip up this dish in 30 minutes, why can’t they.  Apparently the guilt trip worked because he said they could make the dish. We started with a beautiful salad, then the boiling clay pots of Tave Oleu (could not find a description on the internet-probably best), but I’m almost certain it had cow heart which I had as a child, and no, not crazy about it.  Also I mentioned earlier that I don’t really like to eat beef, but they are Muslim and don’t eat pork.  The gravy was very good and I was polite and ate almost all of it.  Their traditional cheeses were amazing.  We continued our fun conversations, especially about boyfriends, on a gorgeous day overlooking a beautiful valley.  Relaxing, comfortable and interesting.  The ladies wanted to know what I thought of them:  kind, beautiful, intelligent and very friendly.  I also told Elda she has a good friend in Medina who is willing to tell here the truth about her relationships with boys.  LOL.  Lovely day. 

















1 comment: