Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Kep: Vagabond Temple with yoga and meditation

After a couple days in Phnom Penh, Terri and I arrived at the Vagabond Temple in Kep Cambodia for a one week yoga/meditation retreat.  It's exactly what I needed and then some after two months on the road.  We have up to five classes a day to include, 2 yoga sessions, 2 meditations, Darhma spiritual training, and morning circle (which always includes some dancing).  It’s a full day of physical and mental challenges, and then we added some Ayurvedic treatments and massages (like mantra massage). I love the classes and the three vegan meals each day have been delicious.  We have a curfew and are not allowed toxins like coffee or wine.  Ahem.  I found cappuccinos down the street and Terri and I brought bottles of wine.  Shhhhhh! We also have a silent zone and this morning a silent breakfast.   Pretty cool really.  

There are 70 students (average age 25 maybe) and most stay in tree houses or grass bungalows.  We went one step up and have apartments with A/C.  The classes are excellent, but accommodations not too good.  A girl actually fell about 20 feet down through the floor of one of the bungalows.  She flew back to France for surgery.   Issues with toilets, showers and electrical outlets.  It’s testing our flexibility.

There is a resident black dog that lies with us while doing yoga or meditation.  I swear this dog is half human - must be a reincarnation.  LOL.

As you lie in quiet on the yoga mats, you can hear exotic birds and watch monkeys and squirrels play in the trees. Persistent frogs can be heard day and night.  I very serene place and the perfect setting for a yoga camp.  The people we’ve met have been the best part.  From all parts of the world with many staying here for weeks or volunteering for months.  We’ve been talking a lot to a very nice Canadian man (he sneaks out for coffee too) who is retired from the Army and struggling with PTSD.  Although his wife made him come here with him, he is finding great benefit from the program.  Its all about staying open to what is in front of you and take from it whatever makes sense to you.

I have few photos since they are not allowed in the classroom, and wifi is limited each day.  I was able to venture out today however to the local crab market.




Phnom Penh hotel




Spa time in Phnom Penh
Shoes off, shoes on

Sunset at Vagabond




1 comment:

  1. I am so blessed Laurie asked me to join her in Cambodia. It was life changing for me. It also gave me the bug to "solo-travel" like her.

    ReplyDelete