Friday, February 21, 2020

Hanoi: Water Puppets and good vibes

Hanoi!  I love this city.  It is a culmination of many things I’ve seen so far on this trip to Asia.  Modern, yet tiny shops and street vendors everywhere; safe; historic; and people can be found enjoying themselves around the lake in the old quarter (dancing, playing strange instruments, jump roping, etc.). The people are fantastic and the vibe is good.  However, tourism is down 40% because of the corona virus, so maybe I’m seeing a less congested and milder version of Hanoi.  I feel so bad for the local businesses, but its good for me as the room rates were 50% less than normal.  As long as I don’t get the virus, this will be perfect timing to be a tourist here.

I have so much more to see here which I’ll do once I get back from my three day excursion to Ha Long Bay.  I did squeeze in a water puppet show which was fantastic, and a tour of the city.  Also went to the Vietnamese Women’s Museum.  I have to say, Vietnamese women are some of the toughest women in the world.  They were in key roles during the wars, while maintaining home-life and motherhood.  

Think I could just eat and drink my way through Hanoi.  Coffee shops on every corner and all types of food.  More to come on Hanoi.  Now on to Ha Long Bay where I splurged on a small luxury boat for three days.










No comments:

Post a Comment