Monday, February 17, 2020

Tam Coc: Rock formations, Bich Dong Temple and Hot Caves



Woke up to the sound of chickens at my homestay in Tam Coc near Ninh Binh. The homestay is not as advertised but I’m making the best of it.  It’s much chillier here in Tom Coc than Cambodia which makes me very happy.  I walk out of my room and see a majestic view of the Tam Coc mountains, and chickens, and fields of mud waiting for rice seed to be planted, and construction next door.  Its all good.  I bicycled to two temples today (Bich Dong (ok stop laughing) and Thai Vi) and traveled along quiet roads lined with rice patty fields surrounded by tall green rock formations.  It was absolutely wonderful and just what I needed – some relaxing and quiet time in nature. 

The highlight of the day was a spontaneous cave tour. I ran into a couple from Germany on one of the walks near the Bich Dong Temple who told me about a nearby cave that was highly rated.  So we hung out together until we saw a man open the gate to the cave.  We then paid him 10,000 Dong for a tour.  We walk in the cave and it is like a hot and humid sauna.  Must have been 90+ degrees and 80% humidity.  We immediately take our jackets and sweaters off while he is motioning for us to follow him – he speaks no English by the way.  He proceeds to give a very passionate and high speed tour in Vietnamese.  He holds his head while he recites the details of the cave.  He goes on and on knowing that we don’t understand him.  We can’t stop giggling at this man who grabs us by the arm, drags us to various spots and even pushes my head at one point to look at something specific – I think it was a fossil.  He is shining his little light at various sections of the cave and proceeds to take us to a very narrow passage.  It’s at this point us two girls say “no way”, but the man went ahead with the guide.  Apparently it was very narrow and quite uncomfortable.  As we wait we see spiders and bats – oh my! This tour was the highlight of my day. I still can’t stop laughing about it. I attached a video for your entertainment.

I experimented with a new photo size, but not sure I like it. Looks strange on my ipad. Let me know what you think.














Competition






2 comments: